The proud history of Laverstoke Mill is recorded as far back as the 1086 Doomsday Book, in which a mill is noted on the site. Laverstoke Mill has been under the ownership of William the Conqueror, Henry VIII and enjoyed four royal visits, most recently Queen Elizabeth in 1962.
In 1719, having acquired the lease for Laverstoke Mill, printer Henry Portal expanded the site enabling him to begin manufacturing banknotes for the British Empire in 1724.
In the mid-18th century Laverstoke Mill saw increasing prosperity; manufacturing the bank notes during Queen Victorias long reign. The site was expanded by the Portal family in 1842, and again in 1881, introducing further elegant architecture to allow for increased production.
Bombay Sapphires heritage began in 1761 when Thomas Dakin purchased a site in Warrington, England, with the intention of distilling gin. In 1831, the Dakin family purchased a still and adapted it to separate the exotic botanicals from the neutral grain spirit, capturing the flavours of the botanicals in the vapour an artisanal distillation process now known as Vapour Infusion, and still faithfully used by Bombay Sapphire today.