It was in 1927 that 11 associates led by Domingos Silva and Ângelo Neves decided to found, in Sangalhos (Anadia), the Alliance, which already has more than 90 years of life. It started its activity immediately exporting to Brazil, Africa and Europe and today, more than 50% of its production is destined for export, mainly of wines, sparkling wines and spirits, brand image of Aliança in Portugal and around 60 countries to which it exports.
In 2007, Bacalhôa Vinhos de Portugal acquired the majority share capital of Aliança, which now belongs to the Bacalhôa Group, with the corporate name of Caves Aliança SA changed to Aliança Vinhos de Portugal SA, when a change was also made to the institutional image.
Aliança wines, such as Quinta dos Quatro Ventos, Quinta da Garrida, Quinta da Terrugem and Quinta das Baceladas, have already received several national and international awards, having been considered in 2005 by the prestigious North American magazine, Wine Spectator, one of the 20 best companies in the sector worldwide. The only one in the Iberian Peninsula included in this classification.
Strong investments have recently been made and the facilities in Sangalhos were restored and the Aliança Underground Museum was opened. An exhibition space, developed along the traditional cellars of Aliança Vinhos de Portugal and covering areas such as archeology, ethnography, mineralogy, paleontology, tiles and ceramics, covering an impressive time span over millions of years. These collections result from the constant care of the collector José Berardo, in immunizing pieces and works of art, from multiple origins and species, with sometimes historical, sometimes sentimental meaning.